Sunday, October 28, 2012

Don’t take – give back to others ….



A short blog this week – in Maine for a few days. But I thought I would write and repeat a blog I did a few years back on giving back to others. As the fall season ramped up to full-scale, I am seeing more and more networking through social media as well as events and direct connections.  The value of a powerful network cannot be understated. Your contacts – personal or professional – are an asset to protect on all levels. 

 “The more credit you give away, the more will come back to you. The more you help others, the more they will want to help you.” – Brian Tracy

 I have a powerful network of contacts – who I relish, protect and am blessed with. They know what to expect of me; I know what to expect f them. It is a take – and give – relationship.
So often when one goes out to “network” they are looking to take from those they have met or set out to meet. But they often forget – the value of a network is a group you can give back to in return for their consideration.

How often I have heard about people reaching out, asking for help in getting a job, making a potential sales contact or whatever – and never reporting back or seeing how they could help one who helped them. Or in some cases – to just say thanks!

In Dig Your Well Before You Are Thirsty, www.harveymackay.com/books/book_dig.cfm) in my opinion one of Harvey Mackay’s best books, he writes – you know you have a strong network when it’s 4:00  in the morning and you are in jail – and you don’t have to call family! Networking isn’t simply making contacts for your personal gain, it is giving back to those contracts – everyone – something in return. It might be keeping in touch with topical information, sending along a lead or news tidbit of interest( like this blog – hey, shameless self-promotion), or sharing good news. Harvey Mackay still sends birthday cards – now that is impactful.

In my case, I keep in touch weekly not to promote Dan Moran and what he does, but to share a tip, quote and make one think and smile as they start the work week. My list,  feeder networks and social networks for my weekly note has grown to over 1 million – wow. (Want to be on the list – send me an email dmoran@next-act.com or sign up through my web site – www.next-act.com).

So don’t just network – connect, take value and give back more.

No comments:

Post a Comment