― Sarah Breathnach, Simple Abundance: A Daybook of Comfort and Joy
The holiday season is upon us and in full swing. There are the gatherings, the celebrations, family and more – we savor this time of the year.
It is also the best time of the year to connect (or reconnect) with new contacts, opportunities and yes, potential employers. It is the time to renew friendships that may have slipped away due to time; it is a time to fully connect to family and friends.
And – it is a great time to rediscover yourself.
We are all busy – very busy and likely too busy. The importance of setting some time for yourself and reflection gets lost in calendars, emails, phone calls, kids and responsibilities at home. Usually time to reflect on yourself and where you are going happens when there is a crisis in life or career – or what I call a defining moment. It brings issues of life or career front and center when you may not have wanted or in a less than perfect time. That is not the best time to reflect and plan as usually there is a fair amount of stress and pressure and that can cloud thinking.
As you find perhaps a bit more time as we end the year, set time aside for yourself – reassess where you are, where you are going and is that is where you want to be
Step One: Talk to yourself – spend time thinking about what you really want from a new job, career or life change during the holiday season. Not just a hit-or-miss thought – but thoughts you will then commit to writing. Seeing it on paper is the first step in developing a strategy to achieve your goals.
Step Two: Answer the tough – real tough questions – and write down the answers you formulate. Ask yourself, looking over the past year:
- What did I learn – did I learn?
- What did I accomplish that I can measure?
- What was the greatest contribution I made – to myself or to my career – that I am proud of?
- What has been my most significant roadblock or challenge I did not overcome?
- How am I different this year versus last year at this time?
- I can list the three most significant events in my career or life this past year, and they are?
- For what am I grateful?
- Am I fulfilled?
- Am I having fun?
- Am I motivated?
- Do I have energy?
- Am I happy with myself personally?
- Am I happy with myself professionally?
- What is the one – the real one and most critical – that I will accomplish in the 12-months ahead?
- And how will I do this?
- And how will I feel when I achieve it?
- And will it be enough to make me feel fulfilled?
- Are you in the right job – answer no – Change it!
- Fulfilled in your personal life – answer no – Change it!
- In the right career that energizes and charges you – answer no – Change it!
- Need help sorting all this out? Talk to your friend (not family) or get a pro to help – most important – Change it!
If “it” isn’t working, accept it and make this time of year – the reflective time – the time to Change it!
I am making change – join me in my journey and lead make the coming year your best year ever – really!
And thank you for reading this. - Dan
President & Founder
Career Management & Transition Specialists
Corporate Management Services
Celebrating 24 years providing career& corporate management services in 2012!
125 Wolf Road, Suite #128
Albany, NY 12205
Visit the Assessment Center: next-act.com/assessment-center.cfm
Manage Performance & Achievement: next-act.com/prescriptive-performance-analysis.cf