Sunday, May 5, 2013

The Three Steps to Career (and Life!) Success Step Two: Commitment



Note: I am out of the country for a few weeks recharging in Italy. I wanted to set up a series of blogs on the three essential steps to success in career – and share one each week with you in the hope that you will inspired to begin the journey. This is the intro to my new book soon to be published, “In the Whirlpool of Life & Career?”. Thx- Dan

The Three Steps to Career (and Life!) Success
And you cannot skip them …

Step Two: Commitment

Over the past twenty-five years I have been in this business, I have learned one very important thing about people in the midst of change …

… Change is a process – a sequential process – and you cannot leapfrog one step, or you failure or enjoy a miserable journey.

Most however try to cut corners. They launch into a change in their career or life without a plan. They jump over the basics – and they find themselves caught in a fog: a feeling of not knowing where to go or what to do next.

It is natural. We are a “want it to be today” society that expects immediate results.
In many situations, technology has enabled us to expect this.
But in others – not. Change in career and life is just one of those life situations that takes time, dedication, and patience. It takes having a plan of action, or you will find yourself lost. It required a dedication – a dedication to achievement that cannot be daunted – by anyone or any situation.
I have coached my clients over the years to look at the process as Three-Steps:
  •  Acceptance
  •  Commitment
  •  Giving yourself permission.
Three powerful words – three powerful states of being to move through.
Onward!
Commitment
The key to success in life and career is going out on the limb - Making your commitment. Here is the definition of commitment from the traditional dictionary sources:

com·mit·ment  noun \ke-mit-ment\

1. a : an act of committing to a charge or trust: as (1) : a consignment to a penal or mental institution (2) : an act of referring a matter to a legislative committee b : mittimus

2. a : an agreement or pledge to do something in the future; especially : an engagement to assume a financial obligation at a future date b : something pledged c : the state or an instance of being obligated or emotionally impelled: a commitment to a cause.

Putting commitment into word relevant to the journey you have accepted and have now embarked on:
Commitment is putting your words and actions into play, putting your butt on the line and taking a critical step forward toward the success you desire, have earned and deserve. It is first accepting success --- then committing to success.

Very simply put, you need to accept your situation and need  and as I noted, this is the most important step.
With acceptance in your hand, commitment is a bit easier but certainly not an easy step.  Making a commitment usually means making a sacrifice in some manner. It might be time, it could be financial resources, it could be impact to relationships & family or more.

But no matter what the sacrifices, commitment is absolutely essential to move forward. No ifs or buts.
And, it is the step in the process that, sadly, most fail. And fail to move forward
Okay, why does this happen? Why do many fail to commit.

We are just lazy as a lot.

It is much easier to do nothing rather than commit to do something. . We are slothful, idle, immobile, inactive and whatever other terms describe just plain laziness. French author Jules Renard once wrote, "Laziness is nothing more than the habit of resting before you get tired."

Laziness is also the failure of a person to  manage the time and resources they have been provided. Because we all have different skills and abilities, the quantity and quality of our work can never be a true indicator of dedication.

One person may be highly skilled at a task, yet lack the motivation to be productive. Someone else may have limited skills, yet choose to overcome shortcomings by putting forth more effort.

But here is the key: Because no action is required in the sin of laziness, it is one of the easiest of sins to commit. Unlike with pride, envy, anger, greed, gluttony and lust, sloth is performed through a passive response.

I see this in my practice of helping others achieve success in their life and career – or imply get themselves out of  not-good situation.

They come with a “pain” – disconnect from their employer, suffering the effects of a defining moment (defining moment: a situation or occurrence that causes one to wake up, stand up an initiate action – one of the most strongly motivating occurrences in life and required to occur to move forward and initiate change), suffering a job loss, bored with their career, and the list goes on.

Some are ready to do what is necessary to initiate change; others are waiting for the magic pill to be prescribed. They are lazy at that point and want the easy way out. They find out very quickly with me – if they are looking for the magic pill, it’s not with me. They have to exhibit both the desire and ability to move forward.

But this is not you I believe – I know it – or why would you be on this page in the book if you wanted to be lazy and not commit.

Maybe you were there – being lazy – but there has been a defining  moment to cause you to start this path of change. You have experienced an awaking o sorts; you just now need to keep it moving forward with steadfast dedication.

How do you now make the transition from acceptance to commitment?

Before yourself, your God and those special to you, it is time to make an agreement with yourself – your Commitment Agreement – and live by it as you work through this journey.

Remember that many who are lazy in life haven’t made a commitment to be different?

You have made that commitment in starting this journey – now the “rubber meets the road” – demonstrate your commitment:

My Commitment Agreement, entered into on this date:

 (Insert Date Here)
Without hesitation (that already occurred!) I willingly enter into this agreement of my commitment of the following:
I will establish reasonable and achievable goals
I will prioritize what is important and focus – focus – focus
I will organize my goals and break them down into workable parts
When faced with a challenge with my commitment, I commit to finding a solution, working it out and will not throw my hands up in frustration
I will lean on others for coaching, help and assistance – and not be too proud to ask.
I will reevaluate – I will rediscover – I will succeed.
 I am special. I am good. I am proud of myself. I go forward without inhibiting fear.
 Agreed before myself, those I love and who love me, and my God:
__________________________________________
(Your Signature)

And thank you for reading this. - Dan

No comments:

Post a Comment